Mom's cherry pie


This is my favorite, never-fails dessert recipe.  My mom makes this dessert for all of our family parties, because someone always requests it.  It is not a fancy dessert - more like rustic, absolutely delicious home-cooking.  Anyways, I made this tonight for our bible study, and it took me 5 minutes of prep time and 40 minutes to bake (during which time I did all the dishes that stacked up this week).

My Favorite {Cherry} Pie

4 c. tart, frozen cherries
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/4 t. almond extract
1 pkg. Pillsbury pie crusts
1 T. cream or milk

Allow the cherries to thaw, then mix in sugar, flour and almond extract to make the pie filling.  Spread out the first pie crust in your pie plate, add the filling, then put the second crust on top and seal.  Spread the cream over the top crust and sprinkle with more sugar (this will make the top golden and crisp).  Cut 5 slits in the top crust and cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil.  Bake at 425 for 40 minutes, removing the aluminum foil for the last 5 minutes.  Cool before cutting (although we never wait!)

To switch to the filling to raspberries: use only 1/2 c. sugar and replace almond extract with 1 t. cinnamon


When making pies, I use my favorite pie plate and these awesome "first slice" pie lifters that I was given at a bridal shower.  They are the best, because getting the first slice out of the pie plate is a challenge!  I can't find these gizmos online, but they are sold at Williams-Sonoma stores. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...