Disenchanted

I enjoy food, particularly all varieties of pizza.  Food is a really big deal in my family, and planning to cook meals at home is something I anticipate.  But lately nearly everything I've tried as come off wrong and unappetizing to me.

Today I watched an old episode of Oprah about the documentary Food, Inc. and was reminded of the corporate revolution of the food industry in the last 50 years.  I have been thinking about this for several months - it started by cleaning out anything in my pantry that had hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.  Then I started reading Joslyn's blog, which touches on the topic of the sad state of school lunch food (which I often eat as a teacher).  I haven't bought poultry or beef in the last 2 months, because I've been more than a little grossed out after seeing the images of where they are raised and the 28 million pounds of antibiotics that are pumped into them.  In fact I delayed watching the whole movie after seeing the previews, because I knew must change. 

During January, I have been disenchanted with food.  Even the 2 new recipes I endeavored to make from scratch didn't turn out quite right for me.  Perhaps it is just the aftershocks of all our lovely holiday feasting, and my body is readjusting to more 'normal' food.  Perhaps my tastebuds have gotten out of whack and January's dreary skies are getting to me. Perhaps I am simply becoming conscious not only of the taste but also the nutritional value of what I am eating.  Regardless I am ready to make a conscious change in the food that we purchase - both at home and at restaurants. 

I ordered three books - The Kind Diet, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual, and In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto.  I'm hoping to gain some insight to making better food choices and to try some new recipes with more nutritional value.  I'll probably be posting some of them if they turn out.  Hopefully I'll end up falling in love with food again, but this time with healthy, nutritious food - and some pizza for good measure.

I'd love your thoughts on the topic.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...