lessons from teaching

Here are some of my reflections on the little things I have learned during 2 years of teaching high schoolers:
  1. Learn students' names as quickly as possible.
  2. Have high expectations of students and myself.
  3. Keep the rules simple: be respectful, be obedient, be prepared.
  4. Laugh often.
  5. It is good to take personal days and be reminded that there is life outside the classroom.
  6. Things won't be perfect.
  7. Teaching the same class 7 times a day is a bad idea.
  8. I don't like to work out after a day of teaching, but if I do I feel about 1000 times better.
  9. Giving students bacteria, permanent stains, and scalpels makes me stressed, but I still love hands-on learning.
  10. Just when I feel completely exhausted/stressed/overwhelmed, the students remind me why I picked this job.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...